Tuesday, June 8, 2010

insect hotel planning

Our house is nestled on the edge of a protected 7.1 hectare park here in Victoria BC. Being on the edge of this urban green space affords us a unique opportunity to view a diverse mix of local flora and fauna. The garden is alive with bird and insect activity all year round and I felt fortunate to be immersed in nature so close to downtown. While sitting amongst the buzz of hummingbirds, bees and butterflies I was thinking about how I could achieve this level of biodiversity in the densely populated urban context. I grabbed my sketch book and quickly produced my ecological strategy to enhance and support future insect populations of the world........enter in the Insect hotel? The example below was designed for our local mason bee.


1 comment:

  1. When I first read the title I thought what in the world but hey this is a great idea and if you have room to it then why not! Keep us updated on the progress etc.

    ReplyDelete